Cyber threats can not only be malicious software that attempts to breach your organisation's firewalls, but it can also be an unsolicited email, containing a link to a legitimate website, which launches a program and allows unauthorised access to all of your organisations systems and databases.
It would be advisable to obtain assurance within your organisation that the following is in place:
- that all IT systems are fully protected against all known malicious cyber threats and data is regularly backed up;
- that all employees are aware of the risks and their own responsibilities when using the organisation's IT systems;
- that your Business Continuity Plan is robust, up-to-date and regularly tested.
Following the international cyber attacks (May 2017) some useful website links are listed below which provide advice for both the public and business use:
- Protect yourself and your business online
- National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC)
- 10 Steps to Cyber Security
- Reporting a cyber security incident
- Cyber Security - .GOV.UK
- Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure (CPNI)